Monday, June 6, 2011

What happened to the Year of Awesome blog post!

I am more than humbled by the fact that more than one person has asked me what happened to my “Year of Awesome” blog and how my year is going! I have to admit that I totally dropped the ball when it comes to this blog, but I am making an effort to at least fill everyone in on how my year is going.
My goal for 2011 was to run 26 races. I am excited to tell you that so far, I have crossed the finish line 10 times in 2011. I thought I would just recap those races so far:
1)      First on the First. Read the blog post, it was a great time!
2)      Rogaine Adventure Race… again read the blog post! J
3)      Beauty and the Beast 5K at Walt Disney World.  This was a really fun race that went in and out of EPCOT at Walt Disney World. It was a fun race I was glad to do with my sister-in-law, Deny,  my nephew Jacob! Zac and Talie (Deny’s siblings) also completed their first 5ks too! Fun race, no doubt!
4)      Disney Princess Half Marathon! The most beautiful finishers medal I have ever earned! If you want to run a race at Disney, I would encourage it 100%, but do it with friends and enjoy yourself! Stop and take pictures with the characters, even if your running partner doesn’t want too…. It was also fun to have Laura Atchison, the goddess of running join us for that race as well!
5)      St. Patrick’s Day something or other. It was a 4 miler and Ashley and I were in the business of passing people. We probably didn’t pass near as many people as we think we did, but we sure did have fun trying.
6)      Xenia Marathon!  YEAP! I did my first full marathon. 26.2 miles. I am gonna be honest here, if you are running your first marathon and need more excitement than country roads and mile markers spray painted on the road, only do the half marathon at this bad boy. The marathon is rough on its own, but add in the feeling that you are lost in the country somewhere and if you died somewhere on the side of the road no one would find you, it makes it a lot tougher. I am excited to have completed this goal in my life, but I would have probably picked a different, more exciting marathon for my first one if I could do it over again.
7)      Cap City Half Marathon. I have to admit that this wouldn’t have hurt as bad if I would have put those running shoes on at least once for running purposes between my marathon and this race. It still worked out just fine and it’s a nice medal to add to the collection!
8)      Race for the Cure. My first run without Ashley for the year. This time, my amazing friend Kat and she rocked out her first 5K like a pro! Race for a Cure is always a super emotional day for me, so this was a race I was glad to be a part of. I even convinced Kat to run her first half marathon this fall with me!
9)      The Original Mud Run… BEST. RACE. THIS . YEAR. This thing was awesome. 6.2 miles of mud and guts. So great. It was nothing like I expected and it was super challenging. It wasn’t  a big race by any means, but it was by far my favorite race so far. I can’t remember a time I was so muddy and I am still recovering from my bumps, cuts and bruises!
10)   Warrior Dash.  This race wasn’t what I thought it would be, it wasn’t a challenge at all, but it did bring a great crowd. Even if you aren’t very athletic, grab some old clothes and as many friends as you can and sign up for the race happening in September. It’s more just for fun than anything else. If you want a real challenge, skip this race and do something else. ( I mean no disrespect for those of you who found this a challenge and complained about how sore you were on facebook the next day… yes Corey Markham, I am talking about you! Just kidding! ) In reality if Warrior Dash had been the weekend before The Original Mud Run, I probably would have liked it a lot more, but that’s how it goes, I guess.

So that is a recap of the 10 races this far! If I did the math right, I have put 81 miles on the books for the year.  I promise to keep everyone a little bit more up-to-date in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment